Friday, February 8, 2013

Such Beautiful Writing . . .


  
The Underneath
by Kathi Appelt


Right off the bat I want to say, if you have not read this book, READ IT. Even if you don't like the storylines (and you will) you should read it to study Kathi Appelt's mastery of craft.

I don't know anyone who has read The Kite Runner or A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini and not marveled at the beauty of the language and the cadence of the sentences. The Underneath is the upper MG equivalent of The Kite Runner. Seriously. Within the first chapter, I was captivated by the originality and beauty of the writing. I fell under the spell of the sentences and the words and the rhythm of this book. I did not want it to end. But wait - there's more...

In addition to the magic of the individual sentences and language choices, Kathi weaves together three seemingly unrelated storylines. She gets and holds our attention while shifting between characters and their stories, and then expertly brings them together for a stunning conclusion.

I can't explain the overall beauty of this book. When I think of it or share it with someone, I'm never sure whether I love it more for the story or for the beautiful way the story is written. It is a masterful example of craft.

What book/s have you read that blew you away because of the beauty or power of the writing?

 

16 comments:

  1. This one, definitely! You're right that it's difficult to decide if you like the book because of the story or the writing. It had the entire package! Other books with fantastic story and breathtaking writing are Lips Touch Three Times by Laini Taylor, The Book Thief by Markus Zusak, and Where the Mountain Meets the Moon by Grace Lin.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've read The Kite Runner, A Thousand Splendid Suns, and The Book Thief. Sounds as if I need to read The Underneath, Lips Touch Three Times, and Where the Mountain Meets the Moon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Better get going, Michael . . . the TBR list only gets longer from here. He he. :)

      Delete
  3. This is kind of tough, as it's paradoxical because you only hear adults say the writing is beautiful and lyrical. Kids don't comment on this because it isn't a focus for them and/or they aren't well-read enough to know what writing is crafted in a superb manner.

    That said, for me personally I always felt The Pearl was, though brief, a well crafted tale for kids. Steinbeck at his finest, IMO. And the old standby, Harry Potter books as well, more fot the wit and complexity of the story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right, Mike, and it kills me that so many kids don't feel it. The difference in this kind of writing is so profound. Oh, well . . . that's what we teachers are for, right?! :)

      Delete
  4. Going to pick it up this weekend! Thanks for letting us know about it

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE this book. I even got to interview Kathi Appelt over at the blog. She's awesome.

    Ingrid Law blew away with her descriptions in Savvy. Interviewed her too:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My daughter just finished Savvy and LOVED it! :)

      Delete
  6. Yes! I agree, Shannon. That book is certainly beautiful, but also sad.

    There are so many other beautifully-written books I could gush about. For YA: Scorpio Races, Small Damages, The Chosen (Carol Lynch Williams). For MG: One and Only Ivan, What Came From the Stars, Beholding Bee. And that's just more recent books. But all have stunningly gorgeous writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, very sad, Joanne. Great additional examples! :)

      Delete
  7. SILENCE by Japanese author Endo continues to haunt me, years after reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Winter's Tale by Mark Helprin. Not considered a children's book but it should be. A gorgeous and profound fair tale about New York City, names one of the best twenty five books of the last twenty five years by a poll of writers for the New York Times a few years ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's another one I still need to read. Thanks for the reminder, James. :)

      Delete

Thanks for adding to the mayhem!